About the Course
The risk of fraud is a serious concern for all nonprofits, but fraud can be particularly damaging to a smaller nonprofit organization, for which money lost can financially cripple or even cause the nonprofit to close it doors. In addition, depending on the nature of the fraud, it can also damaged the reputation of the nonprofit, leaving devastating long term consequences.
As the Center for Audit Quality once noted, “fraud cannot occur unless an opportunity is present. Opportunity has two aspects: the inherent susceptibility of the [organization’s] accounting to manipulation, and the conditions within the [organization] that may allow a fraud to occur.”
The ultimate responsibility for protecting the organization and developing fraud controls rests with its leadership. This training is designed to highlight the prevalence of fraud and the importance of managing risks and developing nonprofit internal controls.
This course is designed to help newly formed, and small to mid-size nonprofit organization (leaders) understand what internal controls are, why they are needed, and which controls are commonly established to protect the assets of nonprofits – regardless of size. It is intended for newly formed and small to mid-sized nonprofit 501(c)(3) organizational leaders.
Course participants should be able to:
- Define Nonprofit Internal Controls
- Understand the cost associated with fraud
- Understand why nonprofits, especially small nonprofits are vulnerable to fraud
- Determine which types of fraud Nonprofits are (particularly) vulnerable to?
- Describe common fraud schemes
- Understand the various Types of internal control policies that can and should be established
- Describe what to look for when monitoring for fraud
- Determine which resources are available right now to expand your knowledge on internal controls
At the conclusion of this course, it is our sincere hope that you feel inspired to lead the organization that you’ve always dreamed that you would one day lead. You have everything it takes to succeed. This course is just your reminder!
Onward & Upward!
Select a link below to begin a lesson